Monday, October 13, 2008

Top 10 Rock Remakes

Here's an article I wrote way back in 2004. It was published on YourInternetLifestyle a subsite of Yehey!. Yes, despite having read less than 3 books in my life, I have work that was actually published. The Music section of the site has been taken down, and so I chose to post this before it gets lost forever.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of times i find myself chatting with my good buddy Barry Jive about music. Movies and Music. As we have the same musical influences, we get into deep conversations about an endless array of songs and artists. We often think of lists, like that of John Cusack, Jack Black and Todd Luoiso did in the movie High Fidelity. Constantly trying to outdo each other with each contribution, the list gets better and better and o
ftentimes we find ourselves having to painfully cut it down.

Here's my Top Ten Rock Remakes, and at the bottom, you'll find a list of artists i'd like to personally mutilate for desecrating great songs. Although these are in no particular order, my favorites will tend to be in the upper portion of the list. Enjoy !





1. D'yer Mak'er - Sheryl Crow:

Sheryl Crow's acoustic rendition of Led Zeppelin's reggae-rooted masterpiece was superb. She wasn't quite Jimmy Page or Robert Plant, but she certainly did a great job at keeping the song intact as well as polishing it with her signature style.




2. Dancing in the Moonlight - Toploader:


My #1 get up and go song, both Toploader's remake and King Harvest's original version never fails to put a smile on my face and makes me wanna dance.





3. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix, U2, Dave Matthews Band:


How can a rock list be complete without a dose of Bob Dylan? Over the years, numerous bands have remade this song, but these three versions stand out. Three distinct styles, three beautiful interpretations. From Hendrix' hard rockin' to U2's wave-rock style to DMB's deliberate, acoustic rock version, its obvious this song is a true classic.




4. Brown Eyed Girl - Everclear:


Everclear's version of this Van Morrison classic is very much like the original... light and trippy, with a little alternative touch from vocalist Art Alexakis. Another perfect get up and go song!





5. Knockin' on Heavens Door - Guns n' Roses:


Gan en ross!!!!!!!!! This hard rockin' rendition of Bob Dylan's slow rock song tipped the charts during the early 90's. Anthem like in stature, i wouldn't be surprised if some people even forgot it was a remake. How about Parokya ni Edgar’s ‘Nakaw ang wallet ko’, which was inspired (maybe perspired) by this rock classic.





6. War Pigs - Faith No More:


Faith No More did justice to this Black Sabbath classic. Drummer Mike Bourdin, vocalist Mike Patton and guitarist Jon Hudson worked in synch to maintain War Pigs’ classy funk rock rhythm
.






7. Come Together - Aerosmith:


Finally a Beatles’ song enters the charts ! This rockin’ rendition was great! Tyler did a great job on the vocals, and the rest of the band turned the very beatly rock n’ roll classic into a hard rockin’ song worthy of a headbang.





8. Baby I Love Your Way - UB40, Big Mountain, Mr. Big:

Here are three different versions of a
beautiful song originally done by guitar legend Peter Frampton. First released in 1974, its obvious this song is legendary as it has been remade numerous times, these three versions being my favorite. Oooh baby I love your way, everyday!





9. Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows feat. Vanessa Carlton:


This Joni Mitchell original was released in 1970. Although some lyrics changed, the rock-duet rendition of Counting Crows and Carlton is a great song.




10. Mrs. Robinson – Lemonheads:


Originally done by Simon and Gar
funkel, this song re-entered the Billboard top 20 of 1992 with the help of the Lemonheads. Here’s to you Mrs. Robinson …

Tangkilikin ang sariling atin! Here’s one to add to the list. My favorite rock song remade by a local band. South Border’s version of You Can Call Me Al, a Paul Simon original, is great! It’s a shame Razorback, Wolfgang and the like never released any of their Hendrix, Sabbath, Zeppelin covers.



As a special mention, the I Am Sam OST and Encomium tribute to Led Zep albums contain numerous songs worthy of being on this list, but I’ve decided to mention them as a whole. Otherwise, they would have filled up the list on it’s own.



On a last note, here are some blasphemous renditions of rock classics:
1. The Corrs – Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
2. N Sync – More than a Feeling (Boston)
3. Britney Spears – I Love Rock n Roll (Joan Jett and the Blackhearts) & Satisfaction (Rolling Stones)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi this is marga, just browsing through.

i like the instrumental version of watchtower four. although some would say it was a travesty, i liked the searing lead guitars taking centerstage. the dave matthews cover i didn't like much.

JavyO said...

Thanks for dropping by Marga. I put you on my blogroll :)

I have not heard that intstrumental version, I will certainly look for that. As for DMB's version, I fell inlove with it when I saw them during the BEFORE THESE CROWDED STREETS tour back in '99.

Similarly, I love guitar solos. Though not really a 'remake', one of my favorites is Stevie Ray Vaughn's rendition of Jimi Hendrix's LITTLE WING. It's pure joy :)

Unknown said...

sure sure i'll put you on mine too :)

i think it's from the soundtrack ng "ali." a friend of mine gave me a mix of songs from michael mann movies. it's soo darn hard to find a file online but i managed to rip it from the CD he gave me.

i LOVE that version of "little wing" too! it's one of the most comforting songs i've heard, actually. for some reason. :)

Unknown said...

man, please post more of this "top 10s". High Fidelity is one of my favorite books and Nick Hornsby is definitely up there in my top10 authors list. how about U2 reviving their own song "one" with MJ Blige, i thought that was brave and creative

JavyO said...

Ross,

Thanks for dropping by. I will try my best. I like Hornby as well, but I'm not really a bookworm.

I love U2's version with MJB, although I wouldn't really classify it as a remake.

WHAT TO FEED THE FAMILY TONIGHT said...

I have recently compiling a butt load of remake rock songs from alternative and pop artist. I dig "Surfin' Bird" by the Cramps; "Hello I Love You" by the Cure; Red Hot Chili Pepper's version of "Love Rollercoaster"; "Ring of Fire" by Social Distortion; "Billie Jean' by ex-Stone Roses' Ian Brown; "Blue Monday" remade by Orgy; "Secret Agent Man" the Dickies; "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by Devo; "All Day And All Of The Night" by The Stranglers. (Just to name a few.) These are worth checking into.

Anonymous said...

"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac was redone by Smashing Pumpkins & Dixie Chicks. Give it a listen

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!