Friday, April 24, 2009

Race Report - Speedo Aquathlon


Rewind


12 years ago to the date (April 19), my closest cousin died in a tragic car accident along South Superhighway. He was on his way home from his girlfriend's place, and was somewhere between Sucat & Bicutan, when his tire blew, causing the car to go out of control, and unto incoming traffic. He died instantly.

Mikel and I grew up together, born only months apart. We spent summers together, and had the same passion for sports and the outdoors. He moved from Bacolod to Manila to attend college at the Ateneo, where I was too. Instead of sleeping at his dorm, he preferred rooming with me. We shared a room and a bed, amongst alot of other things.

Growing Up

Both of us loved sports. Mikel represented La Salle Bacolod HS in Soccer and Basketball. In high school, I represented Ateneo in Tennis, Golf and Track & Field. Miks was one hell of an athlete.

It was because of Miks that I rekindled my love affair with soccer. I remember waking up early on saturday and sunday mornings, heading to Ateneo to kick around, and maybe play a pickup game or two. During afternoons, we would head to San Lorenzo, and play 7 or 8 aside. It was something we shared.

During the summer between 1st and 2nd year college, we had both made the team which would represent Ateneo in the Under-19 Nationals. We had a blast.


I vividly remember that fateful morning. My mom frantically woke me up, I looked at her face, then at Miks' side of the bed. It was then I realized that something bad had happened, since the sheets were cleanly tucked, and the pillows untouched. All my family convened at my Granma's house. All but me.


A few days later was the finals for Under-19 Nationals. In Miks' honor, the entire team wore a black band with his number '16' on it. During the start of the game, we had one minute of silence to honor him. I was filled with too much emotions, and could not finish the game without breaking into tears.


Fast-forward

On the way to AAV for the Aquathlon, I was accompanied by Hannah, Mikel's younger sister Ines, and my best friend Elmer who married her - talk about making the world smaller. Elmer was there to join the Triathlon Mini-Sprint - his first.

As I was driving along south superhighway, at just about the point and time exactly 12 years ago where he had met his untimely death, all the hairs in my body stood up. I felt him - and he was smiling at us. I was dedicating today's race to him.


The Race


As expected, the race was gonna be short and not so sweet. The 750m swim + 3.5km run was going to be quick and tough. I saw some familiar faces, and figured if I wanted a medal for Miks, I would have to work for it.

There's not much strategy in a race like this, it's just pedal-to-the-metal from the get go.
The swim was tough, and for the first 250m, I was swimming alone since the faster swimmers had already packed a lead. Then I felt someone beside me, I glanced over and saw Tony Welsch. I let him pass with the hopes of taking his feet. What I didn't realize was Jon-jon Rufino already had. I tried to hang on to them for as long as I could.

Transitioning to the run, heart going bonkers

Shortly after, we were getting out of the pool and it was time to run. I quickly put on my running shoes, took a sip of water, put on my singlet and off I was. I came out of the water in 7th, and got one guy in transition (he chose to put on socks). So I started running in 6th, and knew if I wanted to place, I needed to advance a place, without losing one.

Finishing not so strong :P


I kept a pretty even pace, and finally settled into 5th place after a kilometer or so. I tried to keep up with Tony, but he was just way too fast. I eventually was trailing TI Coach Nonoy Basa, but did not have enough to chase him down.
I held on crossed the line in just over 30 mins, in 5th place. My work was done - that was for you Miks!

With Ironman Ani de Leon

I quickly caught my breath, and headed over to the pool to support my best bud for his first triathlon. He managed a decent swim, an excellent bike split, smooth transitions, and a good run - finishing 10th overall (despite there being elites).

Mer finishing strong!


All in all, a good day. We miss you Miks!

Congrats to Lee, Ian, Deo and the rest of the first time finishers! Thanks to Hannah once again for the full race coverage :)



'Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin
Into the future
Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin
Into the future

I want to fly like an eagle
To the sea
Fly like an eagle
Let my spirit carry me
I want to fly like an eagle
Till Im free
Oh, lord, through the revolution'

- Steve Miller Band

10 comments:

Unknown said...

oh javy, this entry tugged at my heart. that was a very noble dedication to your cousin. :)

Anonymous said...

this brought me to tears...cheers to miks! -hannah

Unknown said...

i was on the brink myself...

thanks to my bros for helping me get the results, Jav for helping me prepare physically and mentally and Miks for the spiritual push during the race

Anonymous said...

tears and hair standing. nice one jarv ; ) -ming

Rico Villanueva said...

Great race you had, Javy. And what a race account. Your cousin Miks must be grinning :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice one bro! If the guy you passed to get 5th reads this i am sure he will forgive you! Continue with the good posts! -double J

ian said...

Javy, Congrats again! Like i've said... you're now a target as you're beginning to dominate the sport.. na-LSS ako sa song ha "...Fly like an eagle...to the sea.." haha
Good luck on your next race!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Biong and Mer,

Congrats! Job well done! We miss Miks a lot too.. I'm sure he was smiling at the two of you from up there...

Camille said...

thanks for this jav. as always, the tears were unstoppable. good going mer and biong! you guys are made of steel. miks, i love you and miss you oh so much!

Dizzy Dress™ said...

i am crying reading this. i think of mikel very often. take care javy.

-- tricia matoto