Sunday, August 16, 2009

T minus 6 days to Ironman 70.3 Philippines

Today's training day consisted of just 7km, with plenty of hills and under the hot noontime sun. I figured a good way to prepare myself for next sunday's big race was to not swim, bike or run.

The beautiful view from Hole #1 from Wack Wack East Course

I have to admit. My game started rough. I dubbed my first shot, something which I have not done in years. I went on and managed to scrape a bogey on the first hole. I was able to gain some rhythm after that. My drives were decent, my irons were blazing hot, but my putter was ice cold. I made two birdies and managed to shoot a decent 79. Not bad at all for my first round in over 3 months.

For those who do not know me too well, I'm really a golfer trying to swim, bike and run. I come from a family of golf addicts. The kind of addict that head to the golf course during a typhoon, hoping the skies would clear out. The kind of addict that wakes up at 3 or 4am, to catch the Masters, British or U.S. Open.

One of the many ditches and water hazards in Wack Wack' East Course

Golf and triathlon are almost complete opposites. Golf is almost purely mental, and triathlon all physical. However different they are, they share some striking similarities. Golf has taught me so many things through the years, here are some which I'll be taking to next sunday's race.

  • Relax and focus
  • Concentrate on the task at hand
  • Find your rhythm
  • Make the most out of the situation you're in
  • Play it smart
  • Avoid taking unnecessary risks
  • Enjoy
The Pagoda at the 18th hole

It took over 4 hours to complete the 7km, 18 hole course...lousy by any running standards, but a great way to spend a sunday afternoon. The work is done, and there's nothing left to do than relax and recuperate. Good luck to all those who will be competing in Camsur.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) nice!-- han

ian said...

Still crosstraining?!! Shouldn't you be tapering by now?! hehe!

Good luck on Ironman 70.3!! I'm pretty sure you'll do well! :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice Javy,

I am a scratch golfer.

I scratch my head after each hole and wonder how badly I played the hole.

Goodluck in Camsur!!!!

Regards Mark

Anonymous said...

goodluck! have fun! tapos post agad ha! - bards

Rico Villanueva said...

God bless you on your Ironman 70.3 quest. You deserve only the best given the amount of training effort you put in. :-)

JavyO said...

Thanks guys..here goes nothing!

Sann said...

Good luck in Camsur, Biong!