Sunday, November 16, 2008

Love/Hate. This is the New Balance



LOVE/hate. Love Running More. This is the New Balance. New Balance could not have put it any better.

Six months ago, I hated running. Six months ago, I had never ever run for more than 15 minutes. Six months ago, I did not think my knees would hold up ... and yet this morning, I found myself staring down my very first 25km race.

The LOVE/hate relationship between running and I began as early as 6, when I started playing competitive soccer and basketball. I simply hated it. Fast-forward through grade school...high school...college - nothing changed. You see, I was more of the 'let's skip the warm-up and drills, and get right to the scrimmage' kinda guy. I loved sports...but I hated running.

A few months ago though, things changed, as I guided Hannah through the gates of her first 5k. A few triathlons, duathlons, an a ton of mileage later, and here I stand - a convert. Yes, I love running.

This morning's New Balance Power Race was very well organized. Extribe did an excellent job. There were aid stations galore, and the route was simply excellent. Kudos to the organizers for putting up possibly the best race of the year!

I have never run 25k ever, so I did not know what to expect. It's a good thing my buddy Drew promised we'd run together. We started off pretty slow, but as the crowd began to thin out, we began to pickup our pace. To pass the time, we were exchanging stories and goofing around with the people around us... before we knew it, we were at the halfway point (at 1:11:45 on my watch). At this point, I knew that even with a positive split, I was on route to make my 2:30 target. Drew, on the other hand, is Mr. Negative Split...which only meant one thing - one of us would have to budge assuming that we were to stick to our plan.

Long quick downhills and a few aid stations later, we found ourselves at the 21k mark (at 1:59). My legs were starting to shutdown at this point, and my knees were starting to feel the pain, but we pushed on. We went on to post a negative split and finished in 2:20 (unofficial - my watch). Mr. Negative Split got the better of me today - Thanks Buddy!

I used to hate running. Sometimes, I still do...but things change.






Here's one of the New Balance Ads - the LOVE/hate campaign - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kviG6cGzpTU

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Javy, well done on your first 25km!! And then to top it with sucha good time as well!!! That is impressive. I think we went through similar experiences when it comes to running. Anyway, keep it up and it was great seeing you again.

Anonymous said...

Hey Javy,

It was great seeing you and Drew this morning. Very good job on the run!! Congrats to you and Hannah, I reckon it was her first 25K as well. Galeng!!!

JavyO said...

Philip,

Thanks. How I wish the similarity doesn't end there. Congratulations on your podium finish. Awesome time!

Levy,

Thanks from me and Hannah. Yes, we are 'virgins' when it comes to this territory ;) How was the Robot Run?

run unlimited said...

Hey Javy, congratulations on your run. Its good to see you on the road at NBClark. Sometimes really the unthinkable happens, better yet you ran along with a triathlete pa. Great race indeed. See you again.

Vener - run unltd.

JavyO said...

Vener,

Thanks! One day I hope to call myself a triathlete too :P

Unknown said...

hey nice job javy! :) i have yet to love running more kasi i still have my hate days with it!

Unknown said...

Nothing to hate about running. Most of the time the bad parts make you love it even more.

Congrats on a great run, Javy. You and Drew were definitely enjoying every minute.

Did you read my race report on NB 25? That's the one I wrote from my Garmin's wordpress upload feature hahaha.

JavyO said...

Hey Jaymie,

Yeah we had a blast trippin on everyone.

I already wrote Garmin and told them they better have that upload facility ready in production models, as your 305 seems to be the only one with the BLOG feature ;)

Congrats on your solid run too! You're more than ready for Singapore!

Anonymous said...

Javy, amazing negative split as the 2nd half was obviously much tougher than the first.

Runners are all masochists. We claim to hate the pain but we actually love it.

JavyO said...

Dindo,

Thanks! Pacing with Drew made the difference. I actually felt the first half was more difficult, but most of you said the 2nd half was worse :P

Anonymous said...

Javy, didn't know you had a blog. I'll add you. Congrats on the NB Power Race 25K. The Philippines was unbelievable and enjoyed it tremenduously.

Next time you're in SF, let me know. Training runs and dinner, lunch or breakfast are a must! Take care my friend!

JavyO said...

Wayne,

Glad you enjoyed. Will take you up on your offer.

Lake Placid perhaps? or Highway 1? or even just Golden Gate Park :)

Anonymous said...

Javy, any one of the three or all of them for a training run. Yes, I'm fortunate to have Golden Gate Park. Unfortunately, it's on the weekends right now due to the job and the short days of sunlight.

I'll be there on Sunday for the Run Wild 5K (formerely known as Run To The Far Side). Hopefully it will be a 5K season best! Take care.