Monday, November 10, 2008

Play it Forward

I originally wanted to call this blog 'Play It Forward', this blog being about sharing experiences, hoping that readers would be able to take something from my experiences, and learn from it. Someone had already reserved the URL, so I just ended up with Positive Split.

This year's triathlon and duathlon season is coming to an end, and has been very fulfilling. Diving headfirst into the world of triathlon is no joke, and it would have not been possible, without the help of my fellow athletes. This entry is my way of P(l)aying it forward...giving back. I am no expert, but I have learned alot the past year, and I'm hoping you would too.

Here are some of my favorite tips & tricks, which are a culmination of what I've read (in books, magazines or on the Internet), what I've learned (through my experiences) and what others have taught me.

Learning
  • Research, research, research! There are a ton of sites and forums on the net, and a ton of Tri-bloggers to learn from. Also, there are always friendly people around who are always ready to give advice (sometimes unsolicited) - so don't be afraid to ask. See bottom for my favorite sites
  • Experiment! Don't be afraid to try out new things. Not all you read or hear will suit you. Also, if something works for you, however alien it may be, stick with it - for as long as it will not put you, or your body in danger.
Training
  • Make a plan and commit yourself to it! There are alot of training programs available on the Web. At the start of the week, plan out your training schedule, and try your best not to miss a workout.
  • Resist the urge to Overtrain! Although volume can do wonders, doing too much too soon will only result in overtraining. Resist the urge, listen to your body, and take a break once in a while. If you're following your program, chances are you're doing alright.
  • Mix it up! It may get boring and monotonous at times, so try and change things up. Swimming/Biking/Running the same distance at the same speed every time won't really help speed you up. Incorporate some Interval and Speed Sessions in your training program. Try Brick workouts too.
  • Join a Master Swim Class, Group Ride or Running Group! There's alot to learn from these people, and you will benefit most from a few workouts with them. Better yet, join a Triathlon Team.
  • Incorporate stretching, yoga and core workouts.
  • Maintain a training log - Jot down your workouts, what you ate, and even what you wore - it might come in handy one day
Equipment
  • Get a good pair of running shoes! Have your feet, old shoes and gait checked, and make sure you buy a shoe that's right for your foot
  • Get bike-fitted, or if you already have a bike, have a bikefitter adjust your bike so that you will pedal and ride efficiently, and avoid the aches and pains that is a result of a mis-fit.
  • Get a tri-suit, or worse case, a 2-piece. It will not only save time, but it will be comfortable. If you're not commited, you can start with trunks, and a top.
  • Get a road bike! You MAY not need a triathlon specific bike (contrary to what most people say), especially if you are targetting short distance triathlons & duathlons (with bike legs 40km or less). Research, ask for advice, then decide. If you have to borrow a bike for your first triathlon, do so.
Racing
  • Taper the week before the race!
  • Relax, and enjoy the race! You've done the work, so enjoy the race. Don't be too hard on yourself, especially on your first race.
  • Hydrate! Make sure you drink enough fluids (and have some Power Gels if need be). Even if you are not thirsty, drink water or Gatorade. For a Sprint Tri, have at least 2 water bottles on your bike, and make sure both are empty before you begin the run.
  • Finish strong, and smile! It may be difficult, but it will be worth it.
Keep on Tri'n Hard...and P(l)ay it forward!

Favorite Sites/Blogs:
Please feel free to provide your own tips & tricks :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Javy,
I think it's great that you're dedicating this blog to those who want to give it a TRI. I'm sure you will gain a lot of converts and fans along the way :) BTW, you might also want to check out Joe Friel's Blog at www2.trainingbigle.com. It's a good source of tips for triathlon

JavyO said...

Idol!

I have the book, have read it, and have based my training plan on it.

I even made my own training log based on his book! Yun pala secret mo ha!

Thanks for the advice in the past, I'm looking forward to more in the coming years :)

Unknown said...

aw javy, we'll have more races to come bro!!! sina levy were my first tri-blogger friends too and they inspired me also. :)

JavyO said...

It's great that we all share our experiences, making us all better athletes.

That's the beauty of sports and sportsmanship :)

Unknown said...

Javy, I totally agree with you. We need each other and others to help to start and even get better in tri. I would not have done it if it was not for Levy that "took my hand" and showed me the ropes. I think we all have our thanks to something bing a book or someone for starting tri's and competing. Great blog man, keep it up.

JavyO said...

Thanks Philip!

Now you gotta teach me how to run faster! Hehehehe!

Unknown said...

It's easy... one foot infront of the other.... What swimming tips can you give me?? (One arm infront of the other???

JavyO said...

Philip,

Unfortunately, that's what I'd say.

But I'd also advice you to breathe every once in a while :P

Unknown said...

oh so that was my mistake, no wonder people told me I look blue when exiting the pool...