Monday, June 15, 2009

Looking Back - Happy TRIniversary!

It's been a year and Oh what a year It's been.

A year ago today, I participated in my first triathlon. It was the Independence Day triathlon in AAV. It was a sprint distance, which I rushed into with only 2 weeks notice. I did everything almost completely wrong that day, apart from the fact I had a pretty decent swim.
Tapped out! @AAV Tri June 2008

I walked in with just a bottle of water, a borrowed bike and running shoes. I wore swimming jammers and a cut-away cycling jersey. No gu, no gatorade, no extra water bottle...WHAT WAS I THINKING??? I walked out of there beaten, yet happy. I was hooked.
@JalaJala

Since then, I've done a few more triathlons (including 2 Olympic distances), duathlons, aquathlons, long rides, a road race, a criterium, a bunch of half marathons and a whole lotta 5, 10 and 15k races. It's been a long and sweaty journey but a great one so far.
With my training buddies Drew & Mer

I've gained alot of new friends, and have been fortunate enough to be part of a great team (Team Super Ahem!), who not only trains hard, but also parties harder! Talk about balance :)

With Half of Team Super @ SUBIT May 2009

Making 'sundo' Hannah @ Condura March 2009

Look who's on a roadie!

It started off with a silly 5k...seriously :P

Happy TRIniversary to me!

Next stop, Camsur :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! May you run (swim and bike too!) farther and faster and make loads of friends and have lots of fun along the way!

SEABISKWIT said...

Wow! from a 'silly 5k' to 'elite finishes' on Olympic distance tri's. You've progressed by leaps and bounds in just a year! Truly inspiring..

Surprisingly though, you weren't around to what should've been your Anniversary Tri at Animo last Sunday... :-)

Gingerbreadman said...

Hey Javy congrats on your Trinversary :) Sometimes, its just fun to look back at our progress over a year. From what I gather, you sure have come a long way. Good luck with your upcoming races man, maybe I could catch you at one of them :)

Cheers,
Luis

JavyO said...

@Jay - Thanks!

@Ian - Unfortunately I was supposed to be at another race, and by the time it got cancelled, registration for Animo was already closed. Kaya support nalang ako dun :)

@Luis - Thanks man!

Rico Villanueva said...

Hey Javy, Happy TRIniversary! Grabe improvement mo in one year. So it began pala with a "silly 5K". Well mine began with a disastrous 5K; sana my future also looks bright. Haha.

All the best on your Camsur adventure!

GeorgeBodegonMD said...

Hello Javy! Thanks for dropping by my blog. Your blog was one of the things that made me believe that I too can be a triathlete. Tri'n Hard really does get you to the top!

Keep up the good work. Awesome trisuit by the way. We at Team Yellow Cab/Cyclingzone are coming out with ours soon!

Good luck at CamSur! Survive and blog about it ok? Hehehe!

TRY-Athlete said...

Congrats Javy!!!

Bluesman68 said...

Happy Tri-niversary Idol Javy!

Your blog is what inspired me to really join triathlons and your steady climb from the "silly 5K" to podium finishes is something that we beginners should always keep in mind. Just like what I posted in Tri-pilinas, just finishing 5 minutes slower than you will make me a very, very happy and fulfilled athlete.

God bless!

Deo P.

EV Charger Installation Frisco said...

Thankss great post