Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Race Report - Powerade Duathlon

In all honesty, after SUBIT last May, I have been slacking off. I've hardly been riding, and have toned down my runs and swims. The weather hasn't been cooperating since, and I have been finding reasons not to train. Over the last few weeks however, the pressure of Camsur 70.3 has finally gotten to me. It's less than 2 months away. HTFU Javy!

I was excited for this duathlon for several reasons. First, I had not done a duathlon since November last year. Secondly, I have been experimenting on a TT setup for my bike and I needed to test it. Also, I have not done a brick in months, so this would be a great workout. Lastly, the members of the national team would be present, as well as a lot of the elites of triathlon.

I racked my bike, setup my shoes and helmet, and I was set. Did a few hundred meters of warmup and I was good to go. Levy and I agreed to pace together. As I was not sure what kind of pace my legs would give me, I was planning on 4:30-4:45/km pace for the first 7km.

With one of my Idols National Team Member George Vilog

Run 1

The group started off at a frantic pace - of course, the national team members led the pack. About 2km in, there was some confusion and runners ended up doing a little loop. Amidst the confusion was our top National Duathlete August Benedicto, who seemed to have lost his way, and lost ground to the front pack. After clearing out some things with Coach Melvin and the Marshals, he continued on his way.

After about 4km, I found myself pushing a decent pace with Bombie of Tri-Clark. Later on, we caught up with Carlo of Timex and another Tri-Clark member Edward. I held on and finished the first run in 31:30 - right on target.
With Carlo during Run 1

T1 is never smooth for me. In almost every race, I screw up T1, and this was no exception. Right as I was mounting, I realized my cleats would not engage. I checked my shoes only to see my cleat covers still on - a rookie mistake! Note to self: Check shoes in transition :)

Bike

I didn't have much of a plan on the bike. As my setup was only days old, I just wanted to give it a good go and get a feel for it. The course was nice and pretty flat. Apart from a delivery truck parked in the middle of the bike course, it was a pretty good route.

With Deo of Tri-Pilipinas during the Bike Leg

I settled into a pretty good rhythm early. After a loop or two, I was in a pack with a tall kid and Edward of Tri-Clark. We took turns taking leads (not drafting). After the designated 5 loops, I checked my cyclometer and it said 25km. I didn't give it much thought, and proceeded to make another bike loop. The advertised distance was 7km - 30km - 4km, so I really did not doubt my decision. On my way back, I started noticing alot of people already on the run. That's when I realized that I might have made a mistake.

I entered T2 after 32km, and had averaged just a tad below 35kmh - well above my target. The setup seemed to be working! I racked my bike, slipped on my running shoes and visor, and off I went.

Run 2

The 2nd run was much simpler - it was an out and back. I settled into a pretty decent pace, and just thought of holding that pace all throughout. I was feeling pretty good as I tailed Joyette towards the finish line. I finished the 2nd run is just over 17mins, totalling 1:43.

I later on found out that I did, in fact, do an extra bike loop. Many other participants had made the same mistake. I'm not a loop counting person, so I rely on the accuracy of the information provided. Perhaps in the next race, I would be more diligent in asking the race director the exact distances of each leg, so that there would be no confusion.

Next stop, Camsur :)

*Thanks to Hannah for the pictures

1 comment:

ian said...

That explains your bike time! whew!! :-)