Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Race Report - Powerade Duathlon (3rd Leg)

This race report is going to be totally different, simply because it's not mine. As soon as the 3rd leg of the Powerade Duathlon was announced, I egged Hannah to make her debut in multi sport. She said she would consider, assuming she could do well enough in some key workouts which would indicate her being ready to tackle the 7.5km run followed by a 32km bike and a 3.5km run.

Fast forward 4 weeks later and Hannah was not only just finishing the event, but finishing strong. She strutted her stuff, 'chicked' some men and even managed to grab a podium spot, finishing 3rd in her age group.

I figured an interview of sorts would provide some insight into first timer's experience.

PositveSplit: How long have you been running?

Hannah: I've been running for 2 years. I started with a few minutes at a time, and eventually graduated to 5ks early last year. After a few 5ks, then came some 10ks and 15ks. Since then I have done 3 Half Marathons and a 25km race.

PS: How did you prepare for this race?

Hannah: Main workouts mostly consisted of brick (actually double brick) workouts, and runs off the bike. Since I was somewhat comfortable with the run portion, I focused on the run off the bike, since that was a totally new experience.

PS: Did you enjoy those bricks and double bricks?

Hannah: Most of them were tough, but the feeling and sense of accomplishment afterwards made it all worthwhile.

PS: What was you strategy for the race?

Hannah: The first run (7.5km), I planned to run in a steady pace, which is slightly slower than my 10k race pace. On the bike, I was nervous about riding with alot of other riders. I just planned on maintaining a steady pace. Once I was off the bike, it was a matter of just completing the last run with whatever I had left.

PS: What was the most difficult part?

Hannah: The last run. The sun was up, and it was already very hot. My legs were already fatigued from the first run and bike segment. Thankfully, I only had 3.5km left to run. I took advantage of all the aid stations and managed to grind it out.


PS: What was the best part?

Hannah: Suprisingly, I really enjoyed the bike segment. The last 50 meters to the finish line was also great. I also enjoyed very much the constant cheering coming from the circle of triathlon friends we have made in such a short span of time. (You know who you are.)

PS: Would you do it again?

Hannah: Definitely. Hopefully next time I could improve on my bike time and run times. Also, I hope I can learn how to confidently drink water whilst on the bike.



PS: Going back to running, what is your favorite running distance?

Hannah: None really. Each distance poses its own difficulties. Shorter ones demand a higher effort while longer ones push one's endurance. However, most of my runs range from 10-12km.

PS: What's next on the list?

Hannah: I hope to do my first marathon in the upcoming Condura Marathon in February 2010. I would have never imagined myself doing one. Hopefully this will be the first of many to come.

*Photos c/o PositiveSplit. (Finally!! Haha!)

4 comments:

Rico Villanueva said...

Congratulations Hannah - from one of those you chicked, Rico :-)

Happy training too for your Condura marathon. You could not have chosen a better race to do your first.

Ria said...

Hi Javy! I'm glad you wrote a report on Hannah, I wanted to suggest it 'cause I couldn't find any reports in her blog (does she update it ba?). Again, congrats to Hannah for her podium finish, and to you.. did you accompany her during her training? Hope to see you guys around :)

JavyO said...

Rico- Thanks from Hannah!

Ria - I joined her in a few of her double bricks :)

monica said...

inspiring han! i wish i could be as committed as you