Friday, October 16, 2009

Weight and Motivation

It's that time of the year again...time for the dreaded Annual Physical Exam (APE). Last year, my APE was horrible. I was classified as Stage 1 Obese. I was well over 185lbs, ate very bad, drank quite alot of alcohol and smoked like a chimney. It was then when I realized I had to make a lifestyle change.

I started with boxing...and then started running because of Hannah. Part of that story is here. A month later, I literally and figuratively dove headfirst into my first triathlon. Since then I have been hooked. What started with a plan to lose weight and become healthy,has turned into somewhat an obsession.

My APE results came in last week, and it was not good. From being Obese Stage 1 a year ago, I was now classified as Overweight. I had high levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) which, as the doctor said, may lead to heart problems. He also said I should watch my diet and put in some exercise. This was not what I was expecting at all. After all the hard work and mileage I put in over the past year, I thought I'd be at least at the 'Normal/Average' range. Looking at the brighter side - I no longer smoke, drink...and I am no longer obese.

Oftentimes I find myself watching 'The Biggest Loser'. I guess you could consider it my guilty pleasure(aside from Dr. Love). I draw inspiration from the show, as I can relate with the hardwork that the contestants are putting in. My own 'Biggest Loser' Before/After is chronicled here. Just last weekend, during the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii, the 2005 Biggest Loser winner, Matt Hoover, completed his first Ironman. Although he missed the 17 hour cutoff by just 3 minutes, He completed the distance. This is indeed an incredible feat for someone who lost half his body weight.


Another inspiring story at this year's Ironman World Championships is Rudy Garcia-Tolson, a double amputee (above the leg) and paralympic champion. After a great swim, he struggled to finish the 180km bike leg, and missed the bike cutoff. Unlike other above the leg amputees, Rudy chose to ride a normal bike instead of a hand cycle, which meant he had only his gleutal muscles to move himself forward. His quest to be the first above the leg double amputee to complete the Ironman ended prematurely, but he will be back.


I guess it is that time of the year...time to HTFU and work my ass off and try to be a BAMF like everyone else. I will be back, and at next year's APE, I hope to finally make the cutoff.

4 comments:

Gingerbreadman said...

Hey buddy, for such a guy who's in tremendous shape, I cant believe they would classify you as "overweight". The barometer they use for these exams escapes me at times. You know how I know? Last year they classified me as "overweight" too haha. Take it easy, and you'll get em' next year.

Anonymous said...

Is the extra weight due to fat or muscle? Body fat percentage should also play a factor.

My key learning in the past 2 years is that exercise is not sufficient to keep my cholesterol level down. Although my weight and BMI are now "normal", my cholesterol and LDL are still on the high side. So much for my pre- long run cheeseburgers.

Anonymous said...

Bro,

I weighed 180lbs last Feb when our APE was held. I came from 205lbs and after running and biking for 3 months, cut it down to 180. When the results of our APE came out, I was classified as overweight and was advised to exercise. I am big-boned and going down to my ideal weight of 170lbs would make me look skinny. I was able to cut my weight further to 175 and I'm keeping it that way. I know my body better than any doctor. Just take care of your cholesterol level and don't worry about the weight too much. Very "fafable" nga katawan mo eh. Charing! hahaha

Goodluck on WRT! Will join you next year.

Deo P.

monica said...

dr. love dr. love calling dr. love ... =)